Pages

15 April 2011

Go go Gadget anything!

Please approach quietly and do not tap on the glass--this can be a rather jumpy species. Here we see an online instructor. Notice the many fancy tools and gadgets this specimen has at his disposal. In some instances these tools help the instructor to present new information and motivate his students to great learning; at other times, the tools seem to turn on the instructor and the end is most unfortunate.
Image courtesy of Blogs.English4Today.com
     Obviously our Inspector Gadget “online teacher” doesn’t actually have legitimate elearning tools in his overstuffed coat, but nonetheless, I do think that one of the main differences between online learning and face-to-face learning, not surprisingly, are the types of technologies used. Technology is becoming ever more common even in the traditional classroom; however, the distance learning environment is obviously more reliant on technology to present and share information/content, to communicate teacher-student and student-student, to work collaboratively, to create a sense of community, to give feedback, etc.

     This abundant use of technology can be a blessing and a curse to the online teacher and the distance learner. On the one hand, students who are less likely to speak up in class, or who prefer nontraditional methods of expression (audio, video, visual, etc.), may be more active in participating in distance education classes where there is more flexibility in terms of class participation. Similarly, classes that do not have synchronous components to them attract students who have other obligations, such as family or work (Sorensen & Baylen, 2009, pp. 72-73).

     However, students and teachers can also feel isolated in a distance learning environment. As a result, students often seek frequent and immediate feedback (Sorensen & Baylen, 2009, p. 78). With distance learning, students and teachers are also required to learn the application used to present the course content, which is known as the learning management system (LMS). The LMS may be seen as a barrier to learning if the teacher struggles to use it to set up the course site, and/or if students have a difficult time navigating within it and interacting with the course content. Also, some teachers may get so caught up in using the latest technology that they forget to remain focused on the learner. As McLaren states, “E-learning lessons that are jam-packed with all of the latest bells and whistles, but lack sound instructional design principles, will not maximize the effective[ness] of information processing or learning” (2009, p. 232). Online courses, just like any course, should be learner-centered, not content-centered.

     Though somewhat outdated, Moore (1998) determined that students’ level of satisfaction is not influenced as much by distance learning technologies, as by “the attention they receive from the teachers and from the system they work in to meet their needs” (as cited by Simonson & Schlosser, 2009, p. 10). I think this is really important to remember. I think there’s a common misconception that teaching a course online is “easier” for teachers because they don’t have to be so “present” in the classroom. Sure, some teachers may check out and do little to maintain communication with students, but just because they do it doesn’t mean it works. There are poor teachers online just like there are in traditional classrooms. We can’t compare the best teachers from one environment to the worst teachers in another environment.

     In my own experience as a distance learner, the classes that were most effective had consistent and quality input from the instructor. The instructor maintained a “presence” throughout the semester, even in courses where we never met synchronously or did audio lectures. I do strongly believe that distance learning can be as effective and productive as face-to-face learning; however, I also certainly recognize that the success of any course relies on many factors including but not limited to teacher personality and preferences, student personality and preferences, subject, course content, course format and materials, etc.

     Finally, I believe online learning offers great potential for flexibility in providing learning activities that are appropriate to a variety of learners, as well as encouraging the transfer of skills and knowledge learned within a course to a real-world application. I have not had the experience of taking an online course that was designed in such a way that I, as the student, could choose and control to some extent the type of course activities I completed. I have read about such customizable courses (Boyer, 2009), but have not experienced it myself. I wonder, from a teacher perspective, if these are much more labor and/or time intensive. As for the second point of transferring knowledge gained in a course to the real-world, this is one of the things I have enjoyed most about distance learning. Not only do I feel that the instructors make more effort to design assignments that get me to work with actual libraries on relevant problems, but I have also learned a lot by simply interacting with fellow students who, because of the flexibility of online learning, are often already working in libraries and can share their experiences with the class.

 [LIBR250 Prompt: In what qualitative ways is online education different than face to face learning?]
References
Boyer, N. R. (2009). The learning contract process: Scaffolds for building social, self-directed learning. In A. Orellana, T. Hudgins & M. Simonson (Eds.), The perfect online course: Best practices for designing and teaching, (pp. 401-422). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
McLaren, A. C. (2009). Designing effective e-learning: Guidelines for practitioners. In Orellana, A., Hudgins, T. L., & Simonson, M. (Eds.), The perfect online course: Best practices for designing and teaching (pp. 229-243). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
Simonson, M. & Schlosser, C. (2009). We need a plan: An instructional design approach for distance education courses. In Orellana, A., Hudgins, T. L., & Simonson, M. (Eds.), The perfect online course: Best practices for designing and teaching (pp. 3-21). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
Sorensen, C. K. & Baylen, D. M. (2009). Learning online: Adapting the seven principles of good practice to a Web-based instructional environment. In Orellana, A., Hudgins, T. L., & Simonson, M. (Eds.), The perfect online course: Best practices for designing and teaching (pp. 69-86). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.

6 comments:

Casandria Crane said...

Kimberly,
I remember the days when "computer courses" were the only ones given that required computers to complete assignments. I think that the fact that SLIS has all online classes is no accident. We have to expand our understanding of online environments and resources constantly, and every course demands that we develop different skills. It's a great way to learn to become 21st century librarians within a context.

Kimberly said...

I wonder if there are any classes left that DON'T require a computer--other than physical ed and artistic classes. Even in my husband's German classes that only meet in person, he still communicates with students via a course Web site, and he tracks students’ grades online so they can view them at any time. And this is just my personal opinion, but from watching him, I think he spends more time corresponding with students and answering questions because they can contact him via email, which is just so much easier than having to go to someone's office hours. Sure it's great because they get to "interact" more, but it's also hard because there are no boundaries--he can answer emails from home and on the weekends, and students expect him to.

Queen Ida said...

Hi Kimberly and Casandria,

One quick point--an acquaintance of mine is an artist who maintains a very active blog of her work and, in the past, people all over the country have written in, responded, and asked her to comment on their work. She and another artist friend collaborated to design an on-line course--workshop style in which people post their work and receive critiques from the instructors and peers. The class is going really well, and she and her co-collaborator have made good income from it (significant for working artists, at least!) Anyway, I thought that was an interesting example of even art-style classes having an online presence.

Back to your post--I particularly appreciated the point about bells and whistles and how this can be detrimental if it detracts from the content. A professor that I really love in this program (shout out to Boyd!!) had a site that did not have many-if any- fancy gadgets. However, he was terrifically engaging, supportive, and demanding. He was so professional and set such a high standard that I felt compelled to honor that by trying my absolute best. He was relatively low tech in a high tech environment, and I still got so much out of his class.

Kimberly said...

Amen to your praise of Boyd. I was lucky to have him my first semester for 204 and it was an absolutely great way to start the program!

And thank you for your example of your artist friend's online course. That's so exciting! In fact, I bet you could even have some type of PE class that was "online", albeit on the honor system. A roommate of mine in college took an independent study jogging class where she did readings, had to jog a certain amount, and kept a log of her activities. This could work in an online environment as well.

Queen Ida said...

Happy to have another Boyd booster in the group! Oh, and I think I may have (unintentionally?) switched identities on you. Queen Ida = Kathleen. I appropriate my dog's name on occasion.

shelfninja said...

I absolutely agree with your comment about learning being more important than technology. It's easy to assume that more technology will always be better, when that's not actually the case. And the boundaries issue with e-mail can definitely be problematic.

To give another example of an art class that requires computers, one of my friends recently finished an animation program, which is becoming a very computer-intensive field. Still, she definitely had to do a lot of life-drawing and the like--there is no substitute for a knowledge of the basics.